Lead\Senior Electrical & Electronic (E&E) Design Engineer
(with electrical CAD proficiency)
W.D.M Limited is an industry leader located in the Bristol area specialising in the design, production and operation of multi-functional, high technology road surveying vehicles and equipment.
We are currently seeking an experienced Electronical & Electronic Design Engineer to work in our multi-disciplined Research and Development team.
You will be technically responsible for the company’s electrical systems fitted to its existing and future products. This is a key role and will appeal to somebody who enjoys being involved in the full product life cycle of turnkey projects. Furthermore, this is an ideal time to join the well-established privately owned company, based in North East Bristol, as it embarks on its next stage of growth.
As the engineer responsible for the bespoke E&E systems fitted to road and pavement survey equipment, you will be expected to carry out the following tasks:
- Project manage the electrical system development from concept to delivery.
- Report project progress to the Head of Engineering.
- Lead the electrical installation and electrical maintenance staff as required, providing direction, support and guidance.
- Collaborate with engineering staff at all levels ensuring reliable, robust and economical electrical systems are produced.
- Capture and specify the electrical systems requirements.
- With the aid of an electrical CAD drawing package and MS Office, design and specify in detail, the implementation for the following electrical subsystems:
- Control & instrumentation interface circuits
- Electrical panel layout
- Carryout and document technical design calculations.
- Engage with suppliers to source appropriate electrical COTS products at the best price.
- Prepare bill of materials.
- Raise and track orders, ensuring components are supplied just-in-time.
- Liaise with component suppliers to resolve technical issues.
- Verify the installation matches the specification.
- Verify conformance to Low voltage and EMC directives.
- Diagnose faults and oversee the rectification of electrical system faults.
- Generate end user documentation for the company’s electrical vehicle systems.
- Review and where necessary update existing electrical specification drawings.
- Port legacy electrical drawings into a modern electrical CAD package.
- Provide appropriate documentation to meet regulatory standards (e.g. CE marking).
- Provide electrical systems technical support for WDM’s operational road survey vehicles.
- Ensure the company’s vehicle E&E systems meets electrical Health and Safety Requirements.
- Qualified or experienced to degree Level, HNC/HND or NVQ 4, 5 or higher in E&E engineering.
- Excellent understanding of electrical circuits and theory.
- Competent at generating electrical schematics and layout drawings using a CAD package.
- Experience of specifying:
- DC & AC electrical power systems fed from a battery source
- Control and Instrumentation systems
- Electrical systems which comply with the Electricity at Work Regulations
- Experience of designing and verifying conformance to IET Wiring Regulations.
- Experience of achieving compliance with the Low Voltage and EMC directives.
- Focused on systems’ costs, longevity, reliability, robustness and electrical safety.
- Track record of delivery projects on time and within budget.
- An all-rounder who enjoys problem solving.
- Takes a positive and proactive approach to work.
- An attitude of continuous improvement.
- Ability to work collaboratively and to take direction when required.
- Able to lead technical staff and project manage E&E engineering development tasks.
- Comfortable with the peer review and evaluate process.
- Relaxed with sharing knowledge with colleagues and working in a team.
- Registered as an Incorporated or Chartered Engineer.
- Member of the IET.
- Experience in technical leadership of E&E skilled and semi-skilled staff.
- Familiar with using version control tools for project documentation.
- Working knowledge of:
- Control of DC motors
- Laser instrumentation systems
- PLC systems
- GPS systems
- Experience in the design and specification of electrical systems for mobile applications.
Normal working hours are from 8.00 hours to 17.00 hours Monday to Thursday and 8.00 hours to 16.00 hours Friday. A one hour lunch break is normally taken from 12.00 noon to 13.00 hours.
Holidays ~ 25 days per annum plus recognised public holidays.
The company operates a pension scheme which fully complies with all pension scheme automatic enrolment legislation.
Competitive salary dependent upon qualifications/experience.